My 6th Youtube posting on State of ESH Nation-INDIA covers the “Process Safety Management” PSM based on OSHA 1910.119 Standard. I thought I would cover this topic as PSM still not a mandated/regulatory standard in INDIA. This presentation is a Vanila version (I do 2-3 day events and tried to capture in about 40 min a summary) So organisations would not be very keen to enforce as most companies feel complying with regulatory frame work itself as a necessary evil that need to be gone through! I hope folks finds useful. As I keep saying, the elements covered in PSM is not Rocket Science not much of it is Unknown. Again, it all boils down to KNOWING DOING GAP! Do we really see that the gap between what we know and what we do is close to zero??
Ever since Donald Trump has won the elections in 2016, 2 words have stood out to describe everything he has done. 1) Alternative Facts 2) Post Truth! While I am not getting in to politics at all in this BLOG as this blog is professional coverage of ESH unlike my personal one here. I wanted to use these words in ESH context and leadership and ponder whether Trump said is anything new compared to what is happening in Industries across developing region!! (Emerging REGION??????????)
I am more determined that alternative facts are of the current global order with funds being slashed for EPA, OSHA as well as Disbanding CSB! So I wonder what is that is happening is new more so from an emerging world perspective! This was all happening across, so America joins the club? I wonder?
Definition: Things I want to be true
Synonym: Truthful Lies
2) post-truth (ADJECTIVE)
Relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion that appeals to emotion & personal belief. ‘in this era of post-truth politics, it’s easy to cherry-pick data and come to whatever conclusion you desire’ ‘some commentators have observed that we are living in a post-truth age’
How much of alternate facts /Post truth happens at work:-
- Filling permits /checklists without fully understanding to work check the box.
- Is it required as per Factory Act, EPA, If not forget it! we are here in tight operation costs!
- Not bothering major policy documents not reviewed over even 3 years or so. Who cares?
- Copy Paste Risk Documents from Site A to Site B with far different scope and use it.
- Closing corrective actions without due verification/validations. No Cross check by III person.
- Using Dilution by water, Air, to pollutants to meet the Norms.
- Not reporting Near misses, Incidents minor for fear of reprisals, punitive actions by leadership.
- Repeat findings in Audits, Assessments, Inspections!
- Not meeting Deadlines to corrective action, Change Target dates without a care.
- Safety Meetings more download, one way dialogue. No inputs sought or dissent encouraged. Healthy disagreements unheard.
- Training manipulated. Signoff, proxy to meet the target. No formal plan. First cut of budget is training and competence sessions besides Travel Ofcourse!
- LOTO, CSE, Elevated Work, M/c guarding norms violated, Boss says Job must happen! First time device by-pass all went well, so no need to follow rigorous safety procedure.
- inaccessibility to Procedures, saying all data Confidential. Just because some one decade back flicked procedure.
- No Entry to personnel other than area of responsibility, if you go in to check, you may have done damage to your limbs.
- Seat Belt in fork Lifts? What for speed is less?? Supplier didn’t recommend so why waste money!!! (Even top-notch cos use this logic hmmmmmmm)
- Roll over protection Forklifts?? what’s that??????? No need!
- Lost, misplaced documents due to poor Record management /ownership.
- Not my job to manage. Why Should I care???
- No Set Metrics, Goals, Objectives, Targets, Management plan. ESH / Business systems managed by ad hoc situations as happened.
- Managing by Fear, coercion, Reprimand.
- Pointing out corrective actions/improvement would lead to you person pointing the job being asked to take ownership and close it.
- No Formal Design Review at projects, ESH forced to sign off at 11th Hour, else BIG Boss will be unhappy and angry and would shout.
- Project Engineers absolute disdain for Operational care /Norms, their way to do things assuming Sun Sets in East!!! (99% site I visit Monkey Ladder is norm How would you climb at aged 61??) Project guy goes to next project 1000Km away 20 years ago.
- Management Review without All Leadership participating, Not all HSE-Elements discussed /identified with actions for improvement.
- PPE issue no norms, standards, Cost is factor.
- PPE inspections??? What is that???
- Safety Environment manifests on 4th March, 5th June, 6th December. All Dog and Pony show. Rest of days, ESH guy exist to take blame and work the Donkey’s load!!
- Dog and PONY Show when overseas visitors come! All Spick and Span! Call overseas consultant and get spruce up, align terms and Every one happy!!!
- MSDS explanation to folks? OH Man they would run away from work fearing hazards!! Don’t let them know hazards.
- Contractor folks are expandable entity including Life?????
- Plan approvals and all we can’t wait start project, manage approvals.
- If we need to manage standards as per First World Norms, Why the hell we come to a III World Country!! Manage resources some how! We thought Developing regions can manage (Some how)!!!
- I only know what I know, I dont know care what others do? (Integrative thinking?? Tell it to Birds)
I think Trump would be happy I guess he has some folks who match him ???? At least Trump has a team which is World class to steer ship safely!! Do our Folks have some? I wonder???
Any Lists you want to add, please do in comments.