What can be the Acts of Random Kindness (ARK) that Safety (ESH) Professionals can do at workplace!!! I would try to list!! please feel free to add!! While Random can be seen as an unplanned act, I would work here in a planned context.
- Be visible, show empathy, reach out to employees.
- Involve Employees at decision-making. Lower the level, the better. Make things happen where action is.
- Spend time at shop floor, understand issues from their perspective. Listen. Always see what is in for them, why they should do it?? What will be the benefits to them?
- Speak AT them not Speak to them. Hear what is not being said. Read Body language.
- Listen to Employees,Ask “What is your Opinion”? “I don’t know, what do you think?”
- Get to know people, try to know more about “the PERSON” (without being intrusive)
- Establish Trust. A key ingredient to relationship building.
- Encourage employees to report situations when reported, work out resolution one way or the other.
- Seek inputs from them on Policy, Program, Procedures, PPE etc. Give feedback post decision on their inputs one way or the other.
- Get to know people better, their dear/near. Julius Cesar knew every soldier by name.
- Incident investigations are never done to blame employees!! Such Investigations are stupid! Only a terrorists do acts intentionally to kill themselves and others. Every Incident is fault of management at a base level.
- If you can say good things about them spread / propagate the word. If nothing to be said, keep quiet. Never bad mouth people! If to be criticized, point to the behaviour and give feedback to the individual.
- Catch people doing right things, nothing works like a praise! There are many people who would like to be praised than getting truck load of money! Different people, different needs!! Find out what people want!!
- Look out / Scout for female employee issues, Especially Sexual Harassment nature. Be the person to escalate, even if, every one at work, keeps mum and mind their own business.
- Make sure people are well fed,the army moves on its stomach, many times (especially end of month times) folks may not have money, so may choose to go hungry / starve. Look out!
- Work people development as part of your goal, Inspire, Motivate, Engage. Make people feel good.
- Communicate Communicate Communicate—-> NO News is bad news. Have courage to inform folks of information they wont agree with. Never hide.
- Dont be a Safety policemen to find faults, people don’t come to work to commit mistakes. So Go easy.
Safety (ESH) is all about to the people, by the people, for the people, so go about just doing it with Technical excellence as hardware and people skills as software.
GOOD LUCK! GOD BLESS
17/4/17 1500 Hrs.