This is not a tribute to Roger Moore, the James Bond, the secret service agent, who died yesterday! I have posted my thoughts on my personal Blog!
So What the HSE professional world can do with a “VIEW TO A KILL” for a better performance by emphasising safe work place through safe actions, behaviours and conditions. It would be good to reverse fit as to why EHS component fail and what can be done to course correct and then sustain EHS as a key enabler.
Why Safety (HSE) programs fail:- I have listed a Baker’s Dozen, the list can go on and on
- Lack leadership engagement and committment
- Treating people as commodity /dispensable
- EHS not seen as a value to believe to execute for operations excellence
- Focused only on legal compliance; forgetting that compliance = 30% to excellence
- lack of sense of urgency, decisions too little, too late as necessary evil to do
- lack of team, cohesion, bonding lack of relationship, trust both ways
- lack of risk based approach to safety, health, environment, facility to focus.
- Stupidly believing that Zero Accident /incident means “All is Well”
- Lack of clear plans, goals, targets linked to Strategy, Risks
- Safety is safety manager’s responsibility
- Systems put on paper but not enforced at area of work.
- Check the box as a ritual
- No clear linkage to business overview, safety being steered as standalone!
So What folks need to do?
- Get Leadership buy in, sell safety. What is in it for leaders. To sell is human.
- Focus on Risk, Risk Risk, Everything is Risk based approach, business in 2017 is all about risk.
- Be visible on Shop floor, be the person that folks can trust and speak to! Perception is all that matters some time! Use this opportunity as ability to learn.
4. Encourage folks to report incidents, develop questioning attitude in people. Not easy, but that is key ingredient to improve work place performance.
5. Never harp on too much metrics, it can push folks hide issues to reach targets! The sweeping under carpet can lead one day to a disaster! While what gets measured gets done is a good mantra, too much metric focused and linkage to rewards can lead to managers/leaders/employees under reporting/non reporting events. 6. Close actionable items as agreed on practical, doable, realistic dates, Always under promise and over deliver. Corrective action kept open for years can be a “SMOKING GUN” when things go wrong, questioning credibility. Many companies have lost their reputation.
7. Focus on Zero Fatality at Work. Zero Harm is a myth!!!
8. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate, there is nothing like Over communication. Do visual management, News letter, Banners, Posters, Display board, Electronic Visual displays, screen savers what not for safety performance, status, key information.
9. Above all, work the operating control procedures/ work instructions as need based linked to Risk Assessment output, not copy paste. Involve workmen/shop floor folks in process. Standard way of working can bring in consistency, thus reducing potential for incidents/accidents/harm.
24/5/17. 1600 Hrs.