I am hearing about spate of Industrial incidents, Bush Fires across Europe, 120F in USA and it is not even July Independence day week!! Also on personal side I am saddened by Suicides in community, depression at work etc, marital discords etc. We get only one chance to live, unlike James BOND 007 who only gets to live twice… So what can we do to make life go a little better??
I was amazed to read this post this morning, which triggered me to write this post! A building in United Kingdom/ Great Britain, with 1000 Fire door missing or can’t shut properly in case of building fire! If this is the case in developed world where compliance expectations/ penalties are the highest! What is hope for compliance or conformance in these tough times, economic uncertainty in III World region where everything as for as working for compliance is seen with Contempt?? I don’t want to be a doomsday predictor or writing post for fault-finding? My post below is to see such situation in a positive aspect as to what can be learned and how things can be improved in a proactive mode. of course, I assume the management, team, leadership at work as well as people dear and near to you are looking for you to succeed with good relations. (Else meaningless to even attempt anything)
EHS Folks and support team with leadership can work a safe work place in whichever area as follows:-
- Develop a sense of Risk perception for every situation around you. For this to happen all it it takes is 5 seconds, Deep Breath in Breath out, to see a Look around as to what could go wrong and how you can mitigate the hazard and risk associated with the activity you do! What is way out? These 5 seconds play task in your mind can be difference between success and failure, or escape or trap. Human mind can react faster if the pre wire has happened to recall response faster!! People generally become complacent and underestimate risk and the associated hazards. The reason could be as follows.
- Lack of Hazard recognition, rare at professional setting but can happen.
- Disagreement on best safe practices, who is right, who adds value?
- You do it daily that it becomes second nature that response is slow in an adverse situation
- Peer pressure, lack of better planning thus taking an easy unsafe way to work things. (Short cuts, cuts shorts life!)
- As you get in to habit, the unavoidable feeling of sense of mastery creeps in thus making a person go in to overconfidence/complacency mode.
- Sense of risk perception starts becoming less, due to personality, heroics.
- Always learn from other’s experiences that is happening in and around Industries of similar type or situations. In the days of global outreach, nothing stays invisible, hidden, Knock it shall open, seek you shall find, Ask you will be given. ON TO YOU! It is always cheaper, wiser to learn from environment around you. Always look for what is the worst that can happen in the situation I am in, how can I rescue myself out of such situation.
- Start measuring things at workplace. Think big but start with small significant impact initiatives that can capture as metric. Work a metric to measure performance, however impractical it may look at the beginning, work on it to improve to make it practicable. Proxy metrics can even be used at initial stages. The saying” What gets measured, Gets done” is apt. Be realistic, Under promise over deliver on these metrics. Aspects like Incidents, actions taken, Audit closures, Compliance, Energy, waste etc etc could be metrics that can be tracked to work a dashboard approach.
- Communicate, Communicate, Communicate!! Nothing is over communicate!! It would be great if communication is adapted to what people want rather than what you want to sell!
- Budgets and planning:- Without money nothing happens, even army moves on its stomach, so work the budgets based on ZERO based budgeting. Plan for significant risk and mitigations from social, political, economical, technical standpoint. I have covered these in detail in my blog posts.
- As you mature in your process for EHS excellence, try to work linkage to operational excellence and standardize the way things are got done. One company, one data, one process, one way to do, one report, no matter who does! Standardization leads to predictability, thus eliminating uncertainty the many trigger point for adverse events.
- Be Eternal optimist, try to see everything even in adverse situation as Half Full rather than half empty!
- Manage your Energy, (Mental, Physical, Emotional, Spiritual) not time.
- Develop habits of getting things done! (Try to work lists that is a Must, Shall, Should)
- If you love somebody, set them free, If it is your’s,it will come back, if it doesn’t, it never was!!
- Sleep makes wonder, Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep, come what may! Anything said done to deny is lame excuse.
- Try to get up before Sunset, brings immense energy and you can get quite a lot done when others are stretching themselves in bed.
- Show Empathy to people, Try to see their point of view thro Self and social awareness besides relationship management.
- Be Kind to people, not even our 5 fingers in the hand are alike!! ARK–>Acts of Random kindness, (See my blog post)
- Family comes first FIRST ALWAYS FIRST!!! Whatever we do is for them, anything done outside this purview, is misplaced priorities.
- Never compare !! You are unique gift given by creator!! Enjoy it!!!
Take it easy, take care, stay safe, GOD BLESS