I was at Madras, (It is always Madras, never Chennai for me) Friday, to attend the OSH India exhibition cum Technical session. I had originally planned to attend event both the days but due to personal committment that came in the 11th hour, I made it only one day.
Bottom Line Upfront:- An Awesome event, well organised and took up issues that are very apt relevant to emerging nation like India. The exhibition on Safety, Security were very relevant. (I would assume about 10,000 Sq Ft space) My guesstimate is about 6000 Footfalls of folks from Madras. The technical session were attended by about 70 professional and delegates.
OSH Chennai Conference Agenda -2017 June 27 (1)
- Session -1: Adoption Of Industrial Best Practices To Achieve World Class Safety
- Session – 2: Accident and Incident Investigation
- Sponsor Session: 1 Understanding Culture & Behaviour
- Sponsor Session :2 Importance of Leadership
- Creating Psychologically Healthy Workplaces ( I chaired session & summed up)
- Workplace Ergonomics
- Women and OSH –A Holistic Approach
- Safety Issues in Construction Industry (Panel Discussion I was a member)
- Sponsor Session: 3 Engaging with the Workforce
- Sponsor Session: 4 Getting the Message across Differently
The administration and logistics were handled superbly with close coordination and followup. The venue arrangements were top notch professional.The Exhibhition stalls covered PPEs, Training Aides, Security aspects as well as Fall protection, confined space aspects besides Signage Aide, Labelling etc. My estimate was there were about 60 stalls around covering various EHS aspects including security. The exhibition had a very good footfall with my guesstimate is about 6000 visitors.
The technical sessions by various Indian and international experts, covered safety and security who covered practical aspects of issues that threatens safe and productive workplace. The Female participation in safety was an eye opener as well as issues faced by 35 Million female workers in unorganised sector.
The summary of Mental wellness and health session:- I moderated session and notes from Evernote which I worked as I was listening as Chair.
Construction Safety:- ( I was Panel Member)
- Mobile elevated work platform key to work Elevated work, presently 4000 such devices in India vs 1.2 Million in USA. It saves time, more safe.
- Skill shortage key to develop program on elevated mobile platform.
- Risk Assessment is key to any elevated work and mitigation measures vital.
- In a developing economy like India, as country grows, such devices have a very positive impact to enhance safety.
- Leadership acceptance is key as is culture of safety. India needs customisation and value add specific.
Ms.Padma Ramakrishnan, who coordinated the organisation for event with her team has done a superb job. Thanks to her for reaching out to me when I suggested that I can give my 2 cents. I am glad that similar event is planned in Bombay in November and Hyderabad in Mid 2018. The event also gave me chance to meet some of personnel in EHS field after good many years as well to meet distinguished International EHS experts.
Final Disclosure:- As with any conference these days, I made this trip out of my own expense and this post is out of appreciation and reach out to EHS Folks to let know the happening.
2nd July 2017, Sunday.
2 thoughts on “OSH India, Madras —> They Came, Saw & Conquered!!!”
Your Writeup about the event is excellent – in your own style. We were not aware of this event otherwise ,m could have nominated few to get to know about advancements in PPEs.
Great reading yoour blog post