Lives in Bangalore. HESS Professional of 30+ yrs experience. Global Exposure in 4 continents of over 22 years in implementation of Health, Environment, Safety, Sustainability. First batch of Environmental Engineers from 1985 Batch.
Qualified for implementing Lean, 6Sigma, HR best practices integrating them in to HESS as value add to business.
Enjoy these !! Safety is all about FUN sometimes and Learn !!!
Visit by Inspector!!
2) Darwin Awards What people did to Remove themselves from Face of Earth
3) Some More Act II
4) How many times we hear? Wasn’t me?? (Mera Baap kaa Kya Jaatha hein??)
5) No Safety fun is complete without this?? How many we see ?? Plenty I have seen in 30 Years!! MAN OH MAN!!!!! Wilful Ignorance!!!!
Ok; Some serious Stuff:-
If you want to watch 1 video on Safety Leadership in action, THIS IS ONE of 12 Min!!! I was lucky I did work with such business Leaders / Safety leaders who were mirror images of this guy! This extends to all Industries/ all areas of Operations……… I stumbled on this video a good decade and half back and I use this ever since!! Great practical demo to exhibit SAFETY LEADERSHIP.
2) Safety Leadership!! Execution is all key!!! (60 MIN)
Paul O’Neill presents his views on safety to the technical organization leadership of a consumer packaged goods company. He discusses how he arrived at the need to focus on safety with an expectation of zero incidents. He shares that safety is a basis for establishing employee trust and a value not to be compromised. Stories of his time with Alcoa as CEO in Mid 80s, and then as the treasury secretary emphasize his points. If you are interested in learning how to view safety in an organization, this is must see video.!! Paul was Treasury Secretary in George W BUSH administration. ( His signature is imprinted in $ bill) He worked and succeeded on ZERO Accidents with Incident Free Work place !!! ! Alcoa was already at 1.3 vs industry average of 5!!! Paul still going strong at 82 !!!
I leave it with this message!!! Works Superb 100 times out of 100!!!! Make People feel GOOD!! PERIOD!!!!
Have a Great time, Great to present these to you all folks.
On the eve of National Safety day, (4th March) the formation of National Safety council under Jagjivan Ram during 1972 as an event and carried forward ever since. While some progress has been made to make workplace safer in comparison to the monstrous rate of growth of Industries, especially over the last 35 years, much need to be done to make safety as a way of life.
The bane of safety day/environment day celebrations etc are that they become like Horstman’s Rule of Christmas. You celebrate Xmas once a year, so you forget about it for 350 days. You start to prepare/stretch/sweat 15 days prior, with the result things tend to go wrong!
Also posters, banners, celebrations are all “ANTECEDENTS” which never trigger the desired behaviour at work place. It can very easily become evaporative effect with all aspects forgotten a week post national safety day celebrations. I recollect my last safety day participation was during ESH site role in late 90s.
So what is that we can do work to sustain safe work place 24*7*365!.
1) Safety Culture—-> Safety as a way of doing business not a condition of business! Leadership engagement is key. Influencing upward with what it is that ESH can add value to business. Leaders don’t like surprises, bad news at the last-minute. What is that ESH folks can do work the buy in confidence? Communicate, communicate, over communicate!
2) Risk Based approach to Business—-> With ISO 9001, 14001 in, as well as new ISO 45001 expected later this year, the emphasis on RISK based approach to business can not be overemphasised. Approach all ESH issues with link to impact on Social, Political, Economical, Technological, Financial aspects with Strength, Opportunities, Weakness, Threats. (SWOT). From the Portfolio worked, work the acceptable and unacceptable risks and Strategy, Objectives and Targets, Annual operating plan, Budgets and Standard Operating Procedures as appropriate. This way, ESH aspects gets linked to beyond its domain and overarches with Quality, Safety, Productivity, Inventory, Delivery and Cost, the very pillar of Doing/being in business.
3) Establish a Management Systems:- (MS) Even 30Bn$ global gaints have realised as they matured in the business path, that a QESH-MS goes a long way in understanding the issues and tackling them head on. Oh yes, the management system implementation is independent of ISO certification. The PDCA Cycle below would be the way forward to embrace any MS. Policy, Legal Compliance,Training, Corrective actions form the backbone of the system. (Preventive Actions are given, being fundamental to proactive approach of problem solving)
4) Relationship Building, Networking:- The value of This tool can not be emphasised enough. More so now a days, where Knowledge is no longer a trait that can take over the finish line. 70% results are achieved through Relationship power of influencing, communicating, persuading, networking etc. Professionals needs also exhibit leadership skills which can be built through engagement and asking the right questions? I always wonder How many time folks asks their colleagues, team members, juniors, “I Dont Know-What do you think”?? or ” Thank You” !! These words go a long way to make a person lot better in leadership journey! Also work your social Footprint.
I wish you all the professionals the very best on this occasion and hope folks make strides to be the ESH professional with value add to business. Remember ESH is all about implementing ESH in cost-effective way with “Minimum Adequate” with systematic planning and walking the talk with Visible felt leadership.
I propose to conduct a next video as live session through webinar and then post the session content on YOUTUBE later so that others who cant participate can take benefit of interaction that occurred. This way there is a potential for a 2 way communication to some extent.
As software that can link participants has limited connectivity, if you are interested, I request you to send me a response, so that I can send out the web link to connect in coming days. You would require an internet connection and (proxy disabled). access to some Netmeeting client. There is no need for phone connect or a dial in.
Date Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 1600 Hrs-1700 Hrs.
Topic: EHS Implementation in a Best in Class Facility.
Details: How ESH Management system, operational programs, metrics, operational plans, budgets, can be aligned to business with organiations’s Strategy, planning and operational execution and creates value add in a typical facility.
Pl pass in your network.
42139234 (Work Desk Bangalore)
1986-90 was a major learning curve for the Safety professionals. Lessons learned from Major disaster in that time period helped the professionals and authorities and agencies to work a maturity path forward. It is worth look back on them close to 30 years on and see how much world of Safety (ESH) has matured and how things have improved!!!
The 1986 Chernobyl Disaster helped the world to coin a the Phrase “SAFETY CULTURE”!! It is said that Weak Culture was the reason for the incident to happen. This lead organisation to seek and to working a Safety culture maturity model as below. Most of the organisations, 30 years on would be somewhere between Calculative and Proactive (85%) and Proactive (10%) I personally remember Chernobyl very well as it was less than 100 days in to my Corporate Career and Bhopal disaster wave has just been subsiding after 18 Months. What is needed to work this ladder path is 1) Strong Leadership 2) ESH competence 3) Risk Based approach to managing ESH 4) Employee Engagement and Competence with Intrinsic motivation through Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose.
2) The Second incident was November 1986, Sandoz, Schweizerhalle, Basle. I had seen the spot where Incident happened (in 1994) so personal connection. This set new norms for WAREHOUSING and storage, managing inventory, Bio diversity, River stream protection became order of the day!! Also were Fire water Retention practices besides, Storm Water Drain Management. This disaster ruined 100s of Kilometer of River Rhine which flows from Switzerland to Holland. Good Companies always learn from events and make sure they never repeat anywhere else in their operations irrespective be in 1st or 3rd World Country.
3) The 3rd was PIPER ALPHA!! I distinctly remember where I was when I heard this news during July 1988. Piper Alpha that took lives of 167 people was a classic example of 1)Poor accountability 2) Poor Emergency Response Plan and practices. 3) Untested methods of infrastructure. The Cullen commission which was set up made 106 recommendations for Oil and Gas platform Safety improvements, all of which were accepted. The salient part was many other countries took Cullen report as their own and enforced in to their Existing code of practices. Piper Alpha with Bhopal went a long way to Enforce PSM as per OSHA 1910.119.
4) Exon Valdez Spill of March 1989 in which 250,000 Bbl or 410,000 M3 of Oil spilled in to Alaska, US waters. While there were no human lives lost, like Sandoz spill/fire this was an ecological disaster exposed the perils of OIL Drilling and shipping. 1000s of miles of coastline was affected as were innumerable species of flora and Fauna. This lead to President George H W Bush Signing off the OIL Pollution Act,1990, which worked on better prevention, preparation of Marine spills as well as emergency preparedness. There was also planned coordination between Coast Guard and EPA! I now recollect the current Madras mess and how poorly it is being controlled, handled or mitigated!!
5) Hoechst-ona; while this was not a well publicised one, as there was no loss of life or property dame. We got lot of information around that time, 1993, being a fellow European MNC. This was loss-prevention-psm of poorly planned communication, execution of Emergency plans, communication with authorities as well as lack of availability of good reliable Material Safety Data Sheets linked to products/process /intermediates. This lead to lot of negative publicity and image beat up for the company. I always wondered whether this marked the beginning of end for HOECHST as Brand image!!!!
As you can see,Companies/countries learned a lot from these incidents and went on to strengthen their regulatory framework as well as preparedness mechanism, should things still fail. Also what is remarkable is the participation of private players/non governmental entities to reach out and work these guidelines/programs. It is to be noted that excellence for ESH is a process in which Industries play a significant part and Government just does the finishing touch enacting the provided laws with due vetting.
It goes without saying, Industries in India cannot/should not wait for Government to reach out and enact legislations. Government has other priorities as is naturally in the III world country such as India. (I wont use the word Developing too, we a long way off from what I have seen globally!)……. Would Industries take up the Challenge??? I wonder???
I have uploaded a Video at YOUTUBE on BLOGS, Podcast, BOOKS that HSE folks should follow for sharpen the saw. This list is not exhaustive, naturally with Web expanding at a pace where Data these days is filling up in week, what it took 100 years until 1980s!!! Please let me know your Thoughts comments here are at the youtube vide0 site.
I am delighted to share my uploaded BUSINESS FLYER containing my Profile, my core area of ESH support expertise that I can provide, 2017-orion-transcenders-business-flyers-with-areas-of-esh-expertise-support I would be happy to hear feedback on the same. If there are specific topics you would like me to assist through presentation, Coaching or Training or Workshop or Webinar, please do not hesitate to contact me. Please feel free to share the same in your network. Let’s take advantage of Technology.
Physical fitness is a must and easiest way to maintain is to make good walking. 10,000 Steps a day keeps you fit without resorting to any other fitness regime. (MY only source of exercise over last 25 Years)!!! There are very good apps to count your steps. You may use Google Fit or Noom WALK as some apps and count your steps. Keep your fitness……
I have decided to reach out to folks, to post my thoughts on HESS (Health,Environment, Safety, Sustainability) Blog.
As of now I am planning on Random basis of posting with an attempt to post 2-3 posts a week on HESS/Culture/ Personality Developments linked to Professionals in the field of Manufacturing/services.
I might also work some Audio podcasts and post here in coming days. This BLOG will be exclusively for Professional content. My Personal Blog would remain separate and that would be in different domain.
Please feel free to contact me or post your inputs here on comments on topics/Support you would require from HESS/ Quality/HR/Personality improvement/Self Development perspective. I would do my best to work on them.